Building License Applications (Licencias de Obras)

Before any construction begins on your home and/or garden, you will need A building License (licencias De Obras) for even the smallest additions.


Completing projects that have not been approved by the Town Hall result in problems in the future - especially when it comes to selling a home - which, if found to contain building works that have not been approved, can be declared illegal to sell. In Spain, there are 2 different forms of permits for building involving many stages:

building-license-application-002 (1).jpg

Minor Works Permit (Licencia Menor)

- for walls, terraces, and barbecue area and general reforms. These can be obtained at the Town Hall. Ask for a licencia de obra menor. You will need to provide a summary of the construction you plan to have completed and an estimate of the final costs, so that the Town Hall can calculate the taxes. Usually there is a standard fee payable..

Major Works Permit (Licencia Major)

- for new buildings, demolitions, or remodelling. For this form of permit, you must have a technical drawings from an architect who is registered with the Spanish Architecture College. Builders should be involved at the outset and must also approve the plans. The fees involved can be as much as 6% of the construction costs, payable to the Town Hall as well as the Architects fees.

Our understanding of the way things work with the town halls, along with the trustworthy relations that we’ve built up with the planning departments over the years, puts us in a position where we can successfully achieve planning approval for even the most complex of projects.

Let LT Construction be your first choice in guiding you through this complex and often challenging process. We will deal with all of the paperwork on your behalf, dealing with the Architect, making the application to the Town Hall and most importantly, chasing the Town Hall so that the building license does not drag on for a prolonged period of time.

Contact us in English or Spanish to find out more about Building Licence Applications and our work in Malaga Province and the Costa del Sol and what we can do for you..